
These two pieces really made an impression on me. At first, you question what the artist was trying to get across but then you read the description of the purpose behind the art and realizing the beauty and sentimentality behind the art. The first one is by James Drake painted in 1996 called " A Thousand Tongues Burn and Sing." The artist used charcoal in the process of explaining the relationship between the convicts of El Paso County Detention Facility and their loved ones. Sign language was used to convey messages among long friends and family members. The second painting is by Ursula von Rydingsvard created in 2003. It is currently untitled but the artist used graphite and methyl cellulose on vellum to create this masterpiece. It really left an impression on me in the fact that the artist tried to infuse her art with her emotional experiences from refuge camps. When it's really focused in on you notice there's a man sitting down and a young boy in a faded color.
I felt a connection with the next two pieces because of the mediums that were used as well as the color selection. The first piece was by Jason Middlebrook created in 2012 by steel and fiberglass. What drew me to the sculpture that made the biggest connection with me was the refracting colors of the fiberglass. The artist actually arranged the colors nicely that there are portions of brown, green, and blue all mixed together in spots. It was amazing to see. The second one is from 2006, Reed Anderson titled "Midnight Peacock Music." This piece was done with acrylic on cut paper. The thing that caused my connection with this painting was the beautiful arrangement of colors and the different pictures that are found throughout. You can notice the owls that are found throughout, the wings, and just all the technique. It is gorgeous to look at and appealing to the eye and the mind.
These last two images I would love to know more about. The first one pictured is by Sandra Cinte painted in 2009 on acrylic and permanent pen on a canvas. What made me want to learn more about this image was the waves that bring shipments in and shows the struggle that ships face on their journeys. It is amazing to truly see the beauty that is brought forth when you look at the painting and I would love to learn more about the artist and the inspiration. The second painting shown is by David Hammons from 2001 on harlem earth on paper. It was intriguing on how the artist got the texture on the paper. He did this by rubbing a basketball in the dirt and bouncing it on the paper, giving the paper the texture. But, the overall meaning is related to the young black children that are growing up with psychological issues. I would love to learn more about how the artist came about this technique as well as more about the painting in general.


This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteWow I am again wondering if we went to the same gallery and I missed a bunch or not but I LOVE the first one you posted!! I love the piece with sign language in it. I wish it was a more widely known language my e.5 year old son didn't talk at 1st and his speech therapist and myself used sign language to get him to talk. He still signs please which is awesome. I want to teach him a lot more of it. This piece I am talking about is by James Drake painted in 1996 called " A Thousand Tongues Burn and Sing." From the way you took the photo of it I couldn't tell if it was a sculpture or a piece drawn at 1st! excellent photo!
ReplyDeletesorry it should say 3.5
Delete