Saturday, October 28, 2017

Hand Sketch...

Well, I knew this wasn't going to turn out pretty because I am not an artist or artsy in any means. But, I have to say I was pretty impressed with how well I did considering what I was working with and my lack or experience. Using my own hand as a subject matter was weird because you could see all your own imperfections or all the little pieces that your never notice or truly take note off. Using my self as a subject was weird not just cause I am not an artist, but because I had to focus on myself and I am not one who focuses on myself in most cases. I am one who thinks of others or what I can do for someone else or putting them and their needs above my own. This is something I am working on, but I don't like all the attention being on me either. I have never been one for attention and using myself as the subject was strange.

For my piece, I chose pencil because me being not an artist is was easy for me to get a hold of and also it was an easy media to be able to erase any of my mistakes. Charcoal isn't the easiest media to change any errors without it looking sloppy or having to start over. Creating the second sketch with my non-dominant hand was nerve racking. I was comfortable and semi-confident with how my first hand came out and then realized my second one will come out worse because it is my non-dominant. The nerves that I felt probably made my sketch even worse than it would've been if I wasn't already nervous for the project as well as having to use a hand that I don't use often or ever really. So, using my non-dominant hand in anything else wouldn't ever cross my mind or intrigue me in the future.

My dominant drawing was definitely more defined and looks a lot better than my non-dominant. I have noticed that my non-dominant hand sketch was a lot shakier even though it had taken me longer I had used smaller lines and shorter strokes. My dominant hand drawing was quicker because not only was I more confident, but also it was something that was easier to control on my end. So, comparing overall I think that my dominant one did come out better, but I took more time and focus using my non-dominant hand. These studies were a success knowing that it is a proven fact that people perform better with their dominant hand, but it does take more focus and determination to be able to use the non-dominant hand for any activity including art, writing, hitting in baseball, or throwing any type of object.

No comments:

Post a Comment