For my inspirational masks I used these three examples. I chose they for several reasons. First, if you notice each mask is semi unique in shape and uses a variety of different colors. The first one is a more oval shape that has pointed ends. The color scheme focuses mainly on browns and tans (darker shapes) and the face movement looks for as if the person who created it was looking for a more negative approach. The way the eyes are slanted and the mouth is slightly open shows the created was angry or upset in some manner. Whoever created that mask also focused on using the element of value in which they used a darker color and offset it with the lighter tan to emphasize certain perspectives. The lines that are used to clarify the eye lines as well as the tan marks that are located around the mouth draw your attention to those areas.
The second one I chose because of the elaborate color scheme and the bright colors. This mask doesn't show an angry aspect but it shows that the person didn't really show much emotion. There isn't much emotion to show here. The color scheme is bright, but seems to contrast a bit drawing one's attention to the white dotted lines that encompass the entire piece. The major portions are shown as blue and orange. Those two particular zones allow your eyes to be drawn to the entire piece.
The third one I chose is more a circular shape that uses darker shades of blue and red to give the viewer some perspective. The creator seems to be a happier person who wants to emphasize different spots of their mask. He uses the white shade to draw out the parts of the face that women usually draw out with makeup. The cheek bones, the top of the head, and the chin area. They also use a touch of value in contrasting the darker red and blue with the bright white. Despite not using some shade of black it still shows the idea of what they are trying to portray.
Not going to lie that when I saw this project I had a feeling it was going to be pointless. But, in the process of creating the mask it made me realize how much work and creativity that really goes into making these masks that represent that person that created the mask. It is a piece of beauty because of the personality that can be seen not only through the art but also through the facial expression and features that are given to each mask. The masks act as a fingerprint and there just happens that there is not one mask that is similar to another. My mask uses colors to show the meaning and expression behind my creation. You can see that the blue represents ocean and a waterfront which is my place where I love to be and relax. The red clashes with the pink with the idea that softball is my life and has taken control of everything I do. I used lines in that the red and blue through my eyes draw attention the eye portion and the center of the face than focuses on the forehead of chin (those are my worst qualities). The I also used value on the right side of my face to show that I may not be completely happy with how happy I always look, but you can always cover up imperfections. The white and the black contrast to show the beauty of night and day and how the world is seen in two different views. I am always the one to look at life with the glass half-full instead of as a pessimist. The wings and halo are to show a type of perspective that each of us has a guardian angel whether we know it or not. I loved this project and how I had the freedom to express my thoughts and not have to be completely open about why I chose certain things, but as a viewer you can gage how I feel and my perspective.





No comments:
Post a Comment