The first video I chose to watch was the one title "Expressionism." I chose this specific one because instead of learning about a place or person this week I wanted to mix it up and learn about a time in history. It is intriguing that there have been all sorts of periods during history where people have created their own forms of beauty. This is how times like expressionism came about. This video relates to the readings because the book for this week does talk about the period of expressionism. The differences is that the book only scraps the top of the Expressionism era of art and how expressionism is brought into today's art. This video emphasizes and builds on what the book has told us prior to watching this video. "The Scream" painting is actually mentioned in both the book and the video. It talks about how the artist Monk, uses blood to paint the background which causes for the scream. The idea of expressionism is to question the motives of society and what they have been told to do through society. There is a painting in which a horse has been painted blue. Yes, you have never seen a blue horse, but the idea was to implement more color despite the meaning of the color. It didn't matter what was supposed to be or what was viewed to be correct. I think one of the most important things to take from this vide is the expressionism is kind of similar to abstract, in that it has to be deciphered. Nothing is just put out in front of you for you to look at it, there is a level of interpretation that has to be overcome to understand or figure what is going on in a piece.
The second video I chose to watch was " The Impact of Cubism." I decided on this one because of the uniqueness in the video and the topic that it covers. Cubism is more relevant to the 20th century that started in Europe. It intrigued me that paintings and sculptures can be captured in just the shape or corners of squares. Picasso was a main contributor to the idea of cubism. This type of art allows for more artistic freedom and comprehensions to create a more rich effect. This art is very similar to expressionism as it has to be deciphered and thought out otherwise it isn't just laid out in front of you to comprehend. The artist expects the viewer to be able to think and interpret what they are trying to show. I didn't know that they refer to nudes within this video, but it isn't like a naked painting but it is someone moving and the attempt to show the perspective and step by step events of the movement. Cubism is a lot of disorientations and this changes perspectives throughout the painting. It is very detail, but not explicit in that it is obvious in what you are looking for. The best way to do this is by closing your eyes, taking what you have seen, and pulling apart the abstract piece.
I am always one to watch videos and get the second form of information but something I was not a fan of for these videos was that they were broken into several different artists and sections. It made things a tad confusing even though you knew when the other section was ending . But, I began questioning what had to do with what and the point that was trying to be made in each section. Although, I had still learned a lot from these videos and it brought forth more examples of what was talked about within this chapter for the book. It was not easy and was quite confusing in doing so.
No comments:
Post a Comment